Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-05 21:56:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 22:23:15 +1930
Hi!

I just don't get it: what is the problem that the web/desktop/whatever
front-end modify a plain text file?  I mean, the current config file
format is so easy, that I have been able to make some "windows-only"
(by this I mean people who almost never had touched a command prompt)
admins actually understand and use it.  I'm sure that if I give them a
XML config file, they will mess it up (or run away).  So... why
complicate the config format, if you can keep it simple?.

Anyway, I know it is harder to code a config tool that handle
plain-text config files, than a tool that understand xml (because of
the *ready-to-use* libraries), but it is not so hard.

As for the "database config": it is good, for say, a web application,
but for a backup system: you *need* to make it work, maybe with almost
no tools, in case of a disaster: if you have to setup a DB, and then
reconfigure... it will take you longer (also you could have the bacula
config files stored on a encrypted pen-drive, like I do, and just copy
them really quickly).

Now, I got another question (almost off-topic): I know some people,
like me, who actually hates XML, I mean, we understand it, we are able
to edit a xml file with no problem, but we just don't like it.....
then.... why is there so many people using it? I particularly think it
is just too much "format", too many tags.  It makes me remember when I
created web pages using vi.

c-ya!

Ildefonso.

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 7:58 PM, James Harper
<james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au> wrote:

> > I agree.  However, using an optional 'third-party' tool is quite
> > acceptable to all.  I refer here to Fruity and Nagios.  The use
> > of Fruity is optional.  It produces plain text configuration files
> > to be used by Nagios.  That is the approach I would endorse
> > for Bacula should anyone desire to code such a beast.
> >

> Maybe a compromise would be to modify the 'include' statement so that
> could include an normal bacula config file (as it is now), an xml file,
> or from a database. If you were doing any of the latter two then your
> main bacula.conf file would just contain a single include line. It might
> also contain some bare essential config stuff so that the same config
> could still be used for disaster recovery, but essentially everything
> would be in your included data.

Ok.... and then the configuration you made with the tool will be in a
different format than the rest of the config file.... this is get the
things even more obscure.