Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-05 18:25:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: "Florian Heigl" <florian.heigl AT gmail DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 00:23:01 +0100
2008/11/5, Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>:

> --- On Thu, 11/6/08, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa
> <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>
>> From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
>> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
>> To: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
>> Cc: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>,
>> "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT
>> lists.sourceforge DOT net>
>> Date: Thursday, November 6, 2008, 5:35 AM
>> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Hemant Shah
>> <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:
>>

>> > --- On Tue, 11/4/08, John Drescher

>> you waiting for?
>> <junior.listas AT gmail DOT com>, "Frank Sweetser"
>> <
>> > fs AT wpi DOT edu>,
>> "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <
>> > bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
>> the
>> lots of
>> useful.

>> will make
>> ssh and to
>> being that

>> >  How would it be difficult to edit file through ssh?
>> If you can edit the
>> > current config file you can edit any text (XML) file.
>>

>> Nah, I don't like to edit XML files by hand.  It is
>> prone to errors.  Just
>> keep the config file format simple, it is easy to create a
>> program that can
>> parse the configuration format and let you edit it using a
>> web or desktop
>> interface, and it is even easier to edit/generate them
>> using a perl script.
>>

> I use/edit XML just about everyday and I do not find it difficult.
> Converting current config to XML should be pretty easy. Nowadays lots of web
> applications (e.g. SOA) exclusively use XML, so, if someone wants to create
> a web module to support XML there are lots of tools available.

the bacula config is well defined, so it should be easy enough to
access it the way it is.
as long as the web frontend users won't stand next to the admins in
the datacenter at midnight to hand edit a config that doesnt work in a
d/r scenario we'll do really a lot better by some import/export layer
that handles xml conversion, but like Dan said, the basis for baculas
config should stay text based.
Any frontend that can't deal with parsing the raw files shouldn't be
considered trustworthy to edit them IMO.

a prime example for this would be hand-fixing the heartbeat2 cluster
resource database - 30KB+ of XML and sometimes the tools fail, leaving
you to fix whatever config they left you with. Thanks no.

There's so many ways to automatically generate the bacula configs
(just look in contrib/) and I rather wait another 4 years for an
enterprise-grade webfrontend that doesn't need XML to read predefined
data and doesnt achieve more than for example a webmin module.

If Kern's "Bacula Inc." would release a real, professional guy that
doesn't bloat my configs I'd pay for that any day. But bloating the
configs just in case a good gui comes around? hell no!

sorry to be that harsh, but in this case I rather speak up on time...
florian

--
'Sie brauchen sich um Ihre Zukunft keine Gedanken zu machen'