Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-05 13:24:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho AT linpro DOT no>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 19:20:11 +0100
Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> writes:

> On Nov 5, 2008, at 12:41 PM, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
>> another approach is to write an Augeas lens for the Bacula
>> configuration.  it may be necessary/useful to restrict the Bacula
>> syntax somewhat, e.g., require users to remove the optional spaces in
>> directives.
>
> You say that without telling us what an Augeas lens is.  :)

I figured you had access to a search engine :)

basically Augeas is a language for describing configuration files so
that they can be parsed into trees and manipulated uniformly.  e.g.,
you could run

  set /files/etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf/job/foobar-job1/schedule Monday1

or

  set /files/etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf/director/my-dir/maximumconcurrentjobs 5

don't be mislead by /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf -- Augeas will handle
recursively including other files, so this is just the filename of the
starting point.

one nice feature is that it takes comments and whitespace seriously,
so comments are attached to configuration statements and will go away
if the statement is removed.  (obviously, depending on comment style
it can't always do this 100% correctly, but it does its very best.)

--
regards,          | Redpill  _
Kjetil T. Homme   | Linpro  (_)