Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-05 09:49:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 06:46:35 -0800 (PST)
≈

--- On Tue, 11/4/08, Kevin Keane <subscription AT kkeane DOT com> wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
> Cc: "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 2:18 PM
> Hemant Shah wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 11/3/08, Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
> wrote:
> >

> >> From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
> >> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are
> you waiting for?
> >> To: "junior.listas"
> <junior.listas AT gmail DOT com>
> >> Cc: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net"
> <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> >> Date: Monday, November 3, 2008, 9:48 PM

> file )
> >>>
> >> may be placed on

> bacula
> >>>
> >> use in web|gtk

> >> Sorry, but that's a feature that's not
> likely to be
> >> implemented any time soon:
> >>

> http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=faq#why_doesn_t_bacula_store_configuration_in_the_catalog_database
> >>

> >   Converting it to an XML file would not pose the
> problems specified in the above wiki, there are lots of
> tools to create/parse XML files tha could be useful.
> >
> How about a way to make everybody happy? Store the config
> in the
> database to make it easy to manipulate in Web pages and the
> like - I do
> think this would be a nice-to-have. Use an export and
> import function to
> text files - this will address the issues listed in the
> Wiki. Obviously,
> the export should be automatic after each change, and the
> import should
> be manual.

> Developer's challenge
> Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK
> & win great prizes
> Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
> anywhere in the world

I think that the database design for the config file would be very complicated.
There are so many options, many are optional. In some ways each configuration
is different. The database would be very complicated.

IMHO, XML format is best suited for config files. I am sure there are lots of
users like me who do not use web setup for bacula. I generate my config files
using a perl script. If I wanted to use database I can create my custom
database and use perl script to read database and generated config files
(current format or XML).

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com