Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?

2008-06-13 02:16:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?
From: "Michael Short" <mdshort AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 01:16:01 -0500
>> Disks can be spun down when not in use, and if you were only using them
>> for backups and were concerned about power requirements then maybe that
>> would be the thing to do.

I really don't think this is a valid argument, hard drives can have
power management applied to them as well, without costly changers or
human interaction. Hard drives are always available, and very reliable
in the correct raid configuration. If something happens to the tape
then the data is gone, with hard drives even with a bad hard drive a
raid array can still function as a crippled raid array until you
replace the malfunctioning drive.

I don't know anyone who takes hard drives and stacks them in a closet
for "archival" purposes. Tapes are horrible for small businesses, most
business don't take care of their tapes properly and leave them in
their car or set them next to a speaker or television when they get
home. I have known many individuals who claim that they were backing
up their data only to find that the data is irretrievable because of
neglect. Hard drives do not succumb to this kind of neglect, unless
you are rough with it.

Sincerely,
--
Michael Short