Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?

2008-06-13 00:00:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Peter Buschman" <plblists AT iotk DOT com>, "baculausers" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:00:45 +1000

> There's also the power aspect.... spinning disks cost a lot in
> electricity over time.  A tape on a shelf does not. ;-)

I assumed that the original question was talking about plugging disks in
to do the backup and then removing them when the backup was done, as you
would for a tape.

Disks can be spun down when not in use, and if you were only using them
for backups and were concerned about power requirements then maybe that
would be the thing to do.

James