Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Why do people use tapes?

2008-06-12 22:13:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Why do people use tapes?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Kendall Shaw" <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>, "bacula-users" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:12:59 +1000

> I suspect this is going to be a silly question. Since disk drives are
> cheaper than tapes, I think. Why do people use tapes rather than
hotplug
> disks?

Disk drives are not cheaper than tapes, assuming you are talking about
2.5" laptop drives (the 3.5" are way too bulky and fragile imo). You
also can't get them in a high enough capacity.

A slow 3.5" disk drive might be cheaper than a tape, but then you aren't
comparing apples with apples.

We have customers using both. A customer that is only backing up 100G
each night is happily using 2.5" 5400RPM SATA disks. Backup starts at
11pm each night and is finished by 7am the next morning. Another
customer is backing up nearly a TB each night onto 2 or 3 LTO2 tapes.
That would require at least 500G 3.5" SATA disk, and would be more
expensive than a pair of tapes and would only be 7200RPM anyway.

James