Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?

2008-06-12 22:23:53
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Why do people use tapes?
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: baculausers <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:23:47 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Why do people use tapes?
To: Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Kendall Shaw <kshaw AT kendallshaw DOT com>
wrote:
> I suspect this is going to be a silly question. Since disk drives are
> cheaper than tapes, I think. Why do people use tapes rather than hotplug
> disks?

Disks are cheaper than tapes if you are only backing up a few TB. Any
more than that disks become more trouble than their worth. Disks are
also less reliable than tape so you have to backup your data several
times and you can not store disks away for more than 1 year and be
assured that they will be readable when you need the data. Disks also
have a shorter lifespan than tapes. I would never trust my valuable
data on a disk that is more than 5 years old while a tape this would
be just fine. For more reasons look at the archives. This comes up
every few weeks.

John

--
John M. Drescher