Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 24Gb tape full after ~15Gb

2008-06-12 08:30:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 24Gb tape full after ~15Gb
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:30:07 -0400

Alan Brown wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, bjoern_busch wrote:
>
>> How much would you pay for such a drive? Just a rough guess for my
>> orientation.
>>

> That depends on how much storage you need.
>
> An external Quantum LTO2 drive can be had for about EUR 1000, these are
> 200Gb raw capacity and the tapes are ~ EUR 22 each.
>
> AIT drives start at about EUR 500 for external scsi units.
>
>> And sure, data loss would be way more painful / expensive than a new drive,
>> but I think right now the tendency is towards cutting down the amount of
>> data that gets backed up all the time. A lot of stuff hasn't changed in a
>> while, so maybe we can get the regular backup size down to ~10GB. We don't
>> need to backup data all the time that hasn't changed since last year. or
>> longer.
>>

> You do if you're using DDS. You can't 100% rely on just-recorded tapes
> being 100% readable and older tapes are susceptable to "bit-rot".

Nothing is ever 100%.

I've had reasonably good luck with HP branded DDS drives and Fuji or
Sony branded DDS tapes. Granted, they are old technology and not up to
current needs. But choice of brand is critical. Some others I tried in
the past (or had foisted on me) were much less reliable.

One department I work for came up with money for a new AIT5 tape library
a year and a half ago. I've been able to have smoothly running nightly
backups with periodic archives and adequate redundancy to cover
everything and have room for growth. I'm confident I can recover
anything they need.

Another department I work for has been unable to scrape up any money for
the backup system even though I've been pushing them and submitting
proposals for 2 years. I can't run nightly backups, because it takes
several days to get everything done using the existing DDS/3 drives, and
even then, I have a fair number of partitions that run off the ends of
tapes. What's the cost of data loss? I'm expecting them to learn that
someday. When the department head, or some influential department
member, loses an important document or data file that happened to be off
the end of a tape, or that we didn't back up because it wasn't in the
time window, then maybe the money will appear and I will be able to do
proper backups for them. In the meantime, I have plenty of proposals and
requests to point to if anyone ever complains that their data is not
being backed up.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator