Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 24Gb tape full after ~15Gb

2008-06-12 07:25:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 24Gb tape full after ~15Gb
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: bjoern_busch <bjoern.busch AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:24:22 +0100 (BST)
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008, bjoern_busch wrote:

> How much would you pay for such a drive? Just a rough guess for my
> orientation.

That depends on how much storage you need.

An external Quantum LTO2 drive can be had for about EUR 1000, these are
200Gb raw capacity and the tapes are ~ EUR 22 each.

AIT drives start at about EUR 500 for external scsi units.

> And sure, data loss would be way more painful / expensive than a new drive,
> but I think right now the tendency is towards cutting down the amount of
> data that gets backed up all the time. A lot of stuff hasn't changed in a
> while, so maybe we can get the regular backup size down to ~10GB. We don't
> need to backup data all the time that hasn't changed since last year. or
> longer.

You do if you're using DDS. You can't 100% rely on just-recorded tapes
being 100% readable and older tapes are susceptable to "bit-rot".

AB