Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] 24Gb tape full after ~15Gb

2008-06-12 09:22:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] 24Gb tape full after ~15Gb
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Alan Brown" <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 09:22:36 -0400
> DAT/DDS are inherently unreliable, apparently due to the narrow tape
> width. (8mm helical scan tape formats such as AIT are fine)

Since AIT was mentioned. I would like to caution people about this.
The drive makers assume a 2.61:1 compression instead of a 2:1 like
every one else. Sure the compression may be a little better but I
doubt it is that much and this better compression will not help you
with uncompressable files. If you are not hitting 2:1 with the other
drive technology you will not hit 2.61:1 with AIT.

John