Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] duplicate full backups

2008-04-22 05:38:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] duplicate full backups
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:37:38 +0300
On Monday 07 April 2008 16:22, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> 07.04.2008 15:05, Silver Salonen wrote:
> >> You can't, now, I believe.
> >
> > But you can automatically cancel the incremental job that would be
upgraded to
> > duplicate full. I'm doing it with:
> >
> > JobDefs {
> >         Max Wait Time = 12h
> > }
> >

> Well, if you're using that approach, and usually have jobs run
> concurrently (so normally the jobs don't have to wait at all) I'd set
> the wait time rather low, like 5 minutes. Otherwise, if a job takes 35
> hours, you'll end up with another full backup...
>
> Also, the "Incremental Max Wait Time" seems to be broken... at least
> that's what I read on -devel by Eric Bollengier.

Actually yes, right you are, that's not a solution. Especially as the "Max
Wait Time" causes the running backups to be cancelled after the specified
time (I complained about this in a separate thread).

Right now it came to me that the same check could be done with "run before
job" script. A quick example (check-job.sh):
=====
jobName="$1"
jobId="$2"
if ( echo "status dir" | bconsole | grep -v "${jobId}" | grep "Job
${jobName}.* is running" ); then
        exit 1
else
        exit 0
fi
=====
The script should be ran with "Run Before Job = check-job.sh '%n' '%i'".

Some notes after testing that solution:
* the same job must be able to run concurrently, because "run before job" is
executed before starting backup, not when the job is scheduled
* user of bacula-dir (running process) must be able to access bconsole.conf
* the "Run Before Job" may be used next to other "run script" directives

Any thoughts on that approach?

--
Silver