Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] duplicate full backups

2008-04-09 09:27:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] duplicate full backups
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:25:39 +0100 (BST)
On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Bob Hetzel wrote:

> If you're taking 26 hrs to back up the data are you sure you can stand
> the 48 or more hours of downtime you're likely to experience in the
> event of a big failure?

Yes, this is data archive backup (currently about 40Tb from various space
pograms over the last 40 years, about to jump to more than 160Tb as we
pick up martian/lunar/lunar/venusian geomatic sets off NASA and other
agencies). Critical data is kept in _much_ smaller data sets.

Restoration of 1Tb takes about 9-10 hours. One of the big "MUSTS" I've
stipulated for the data storage increase is moving to a rack-cabinet size
tape store (If anyone knows of something better suited than an Overland
Neo8000 or Quantum PX720 for single cabinet work, please let me know).

Regarding networking issues, the servers concerned have dedicated NICs to
a switch dedicated for Bacula support. If that goes down there's more to
worry about than lost backups.

AB