BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer

2017-07-15 04:28:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 01:26:54 -0700
On 7/14/2017 7:45 AM, Bob Katz wrote:

But is there a point to running sudo rsync.... if the object is to use systemctl to run the daemon? Is that for a test or permanent? Yes, I'm confused :-) And systemctl has already been initiated.

According to the man page, --foreground should be --no-detach. That keeps the daemon from disappearing and causes its output to appear on the terminal. So the command would be:

sudo rsync --daemon --no-detach --verbose

The point is to observe any error messages during rsyncd startup that would cause it to immediately exit. I think that's what's happening to you. You start it in the background, it finds something fatal and dies. And it's not logging it so you can't see what's killing it. Run the daemon in the foreground from the command line to see what's killing it. Once you get that working, we can move on to making it start from systemd. (Which should just work once we diagnose the "crib death" of the rsyncd process.)

---