BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer

2017-07-14 18:56:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer
From: Paul Fox <pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 18:56:19 -0400
Bzzzz wrote:
 > On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 18:22:54 -0400
 > Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com> wrote:
 >
 > > Oh boy....  I get it!!! I can't believe how stupid I was about that.
 >
 > Me too ;-p)
 >
 > > Well, doesn't this mean I have to establish a whole bunch of modules
 > > with a different path for each module, in order to back up everything
 > > EXCEPT the backup location? Maybe I should try a different method than
 > > rsyncd????
 >
 > You can still use '/', but that means you'll have to exclude all
 > unwanted directories - I use BPC this way 'cos I really need the
 > whole system being backed up.

i confess i haven't been following this thread in all its gory detail,
but i suspect that many folks do their backups onto a separately
mounted disk.  if you do that, then adding "--one-file-system" to the
rsync args takes care of it:  you can back up from '/', but only the
root filesystem will be backed up.  any other filesystems on that
machine will also need to be backed up as separate shares, of course.

paul
paul fox, pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us (arlington, ma, where it's 59.2
degrees)