BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer

2017-07-13 02:48:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 23:45:00 -0700
--On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 10:57 AM -0400 Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com> wrote:

I manually run sudo rsync --daemon and there is no "response" in
terminal. I take it to mean the daemon launched with no problem.

On Fedora and CentOS 7, you should be starting the daemon with systemd, like this:

systemctl start rsyncd

To enable rsyncd to start when the system boots, enable the service (which puts it on the list of boot-time services):

systemctl enable rsyncd

Note that, in systemd, enabling a service doesn't immediately start it. It just adds it to the list of services to start on a reboot. Typically you test the service by starting it manually first with the start command. Once you have it working the way you want it, you enable it to make sure it runs after reboots.
---