BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer

2017-07-13 11:04:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer
From: Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:03:48 -0400

On 7/12/17 11:08 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
I noticed in your rsyncd.conf that you are running it as user
backuppc.   That probably will prevent it from accessing ports below
1024 unless it starts as root.  Also, you won't be able to back up all
of the files on the machine.

Thanks, Les. You can also see by the commented lines in my rsyncd.conf that I had tried user "root" in the past with no success so in desperation I tried user backuppc. At this moment to get things started, I have been manually launching

sudo rsync --daemon

so it is launching with root privileges. And at some point in my iteration it made the PID successfully but not anymore so maybe the daemon is already running BUT I'm having no success finding a command to stop the daemon from running on fedora. There is a "cat" command I've seen but it fails. There must be a foolproof way of displaying running daemons, finding out the PID and killing it.  The PS command that everyone is fond of does not show the daemon is runnning, I don't believe.

For secrets to work is it sufficient to have a secrets line in the conf file and a secrets file with the user name and password? I never use secrets on any of my other hosts and added the secrets line on the server conf in desperation.

In the conf file would you agree that it would be ok to change the uid back to root?

Then when it still fails I'm flailing in the dark. I'm stretching the limits of my linux knowledge also, as you can see.

Sorry,

Bob

--

If you want good sound on your album, come to
Bob Katz 407-831-0233 DIGITAL DOMAIN MASTERING STUDIO
Author: Mastering Audio
Digital Domain Website

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.