BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer

2017-07-15 07:56:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer
From: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 13:55:36 +0200
Dear Bob Katz

On 15.07.2017 00:22, Bob Katz wrote:

> I have root as the user for backuppc for all my other hosts and it
> works. And it's also currently set up as root for backing up the server.
> I did try "backuppc" as the user before and it failed, maybe for
> different reasons. Anyway, I'm not sure how confused the app backuppc
> would be in the case of trying to back up itself. The server app
> backuppc is running as the user "backuppc", but I do know that it can
> call through port 873 as the user "root" when it is backing up all the
> other clients. Yeah, I'm confused  :-)

Yes, I can imagine. Maybe this will help:

The rsyncd user has nothing to do with th operating system. It's name
and password are only used by the rsync client on the BackupPC server
(the machine that does the backup) and the rsyncd daemon on the BackupPC
client (the machine you want to backup).
So, if your /etc/backuppc/myClient.pl contains
$Conf{RsyncdUserName} = 'JoeDoe';
$Conf{RsyncdPasswd} = 'Password';

you need to have the line
auth users = JowDoe
in your /etc/rsyncd.conf on the client and
JoeDoe:Password
in /etc/rsyncd.conf

The rsyncd on the client will operate with the privileges of the user
you have specified in /etc/rsyncd:
uid = root
gid = root
In this case, I use root so the rsyncd daemon has all read and write
rights on all directories and files.

Now, in order to get more information about what goes wrong in your
setup, I recommend to enable logging. Just add
log file=/var/log/rsyncd.log
max verbosity = 3
to your /etc/rsyncd.conf file and then stop and restart the rsyncd daemon:
systemctl stop rsync
systemctl start rsync

and verify that rsynd is loaded:
systemctl status rsync

which should result in something like

● rsync.service - fast remote file copy program daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rsync.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since ...

Then, try again to start a backup. Afterwards, have a look at
/var/log/rsyncd.log, it should contain error messages that help to find
the problem in your setup.

With kind regards

Stefan Peter