BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer

2017-07-05 12:30:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: bobkatz AT dugido DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 11:29:04 -0500
On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com> wrote:
> Dear Les and group:
>
> The rsync command you gave me for testing makes rsync think it's
> pushing a file, not connecting with the remote server.
>
> Here's a different test command I worked out, just to see if rsync can
> communicate with the daemon on its own computer. There is an rsync task
> mentioned in rsyncd.conf called [Backup-Data-Folder]

Just a plain 'rsysc host::'
should return a list of the module names defined in the target
rsyncd's conf file.

> [bobkatz@localhost Documents]$ rsync --dry-run -v 'Bobby/test'
> localhost.localdomain::Backup-Data-Folder
> rsync: failed to connect to localhost.localdomain (::1): Connection
> refused (111)
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(125)
> [sender=3.1.2]
>

> So it seems the daemon is not running on the port? This ps command
> seems to say the daemon is running:
>

> [bobkatz@localhost Documents]$ ps x | grep rsync
> 17690 pts/1    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto rsync
>
> Not sure where to go to further debug this :-(

You probably need to allow the port (tcp/873?)  to/from localhost in
your firewall.  But my opinion has always been that computers are
supposed to do work so that humans don't have to, so I've always just
run rsync over ssh to localhost just like everything else instead of
doing the extra work for a one-off setup.