BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer

2017-07-15 02:48:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 16:20:32 +1000

On 15/7/17 13:00, Paul Fox wrote:
Bzzzz wrote:
  > On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 18:56:19 -0400
  > Paul Fox <pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us> wrote:
  >
  > > i confess i haven't been following this thread in all its gory detail,
  >
  > The BackupPC god absolves you (although, it is the BPC v.3x god, so
  > you'll need to upgrade the confessionnal if you want to also be absolved
  > by the v.4.x one.)

:-)

  > > but i suspect that many folks do their backups onto a separately
  > > mounted disk.  if you do that, then adding "--one-file-system" to the
  > > rsync args takes care of it:  you can back up from '/', but only the
  > > root filesystem will be backed up.  any other filesystems on that
  > > machine will also need to be backed up as separate shares, of course.
  >
  > But this way, you still backup unwanted directories, such as /tmp, /dev,
  > /proc, etc.
  > Starting on the disk root and excluding these allows for a tight control
  > over what you want and the rest, providing you need almost the whole
  > system to be saved for whatever reason.

i didn't say i don't also have some excludes.  i exclude /proc and
/sys.  /dev is a separate filesystem.  /tmp, believe it or not, i do
back up, to help with the morning-after regret of having lost a file i
thought i didn't need.  i think we're ending up in the same place -- i
just need to specifically include mounted filesystems (as separate
share), which is how i prefer it.
Actually, I think you will find that /proc, /dev, /sys, etc are actually different filesystems, and so will automatically be excluded by --one-file-system.

Regards,
Adam