BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer

2017-07-15 08:21:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the server computer
From: Paul Fox <pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 08:20:49 -0400
Adam Goryachev wrote:

 > On 15/7/17 13:00, Paul Fox wrote:
 > > i didn't say i don't also have some excludes.  i exclude /proc and
 > > /sys.  /dev is a separate filesystem.  /tmp, believe it or not, i do
 > > back up, to help with the morning-after regret of having lost a file i
 > > thought i didn't need.  i think we're ending up in the same place -- i
 > > just need to specifically include mounted filesystems (as separate
 > > share), which is how i prefer it.
 >
 > Actually, I think you will find that /proc, /dev, /sys, etc are actually
 > different filesystems, and so will automatically be excluded by
 > --one-file-system.

thanks -- when i saw those in my excludes list last night just before
posting i though "hmmm.  i'll bet i don't need those".  i think they're
left over from before i added --one-file-system.  (which was probably
12 or 13 years ago.)  i also noticed i'm not using RsyncExtraArgs, which
would be cleaner and safer.

paul
paul fox, pgf AT foxharp.boston.ma DOT us (arlington, ma, where it's 60.4
degrees)