BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Could Not Open Password File

2017-07-13 11:12:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Could Not Open Password File
From: Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 11:12:26 -0400

Dear Akibu: I'm running Backuppc successfully on Fedora 26 (not the server but the desktop version).

Here is my full step-by-step formula for Fedora 26 success, maybe it will help! There is a step below describing how I got the gui to function and the permissions I used.

Install and configure backuppc version 4+. step by step on Fedora 26
May 24, 2017

Richard Shaw (aka "Hobbes") is the real hero of most of these instructions.

Replace 'bobkatz' with your own user name in these steps :-)

I. Requirements:

a) Standard installation of Fedora 26. Currently Fedora 26 is in alpha, some parts don't fully work, most are fully functional and there are easy workarounds for any part that may be broken. If you are using Fedora 26, DO NOT INSTALL ANY UPDATES without cloning your system first. Some updates may break your system! Your system may freeze during the update process! Other issues may occur with an alpha system. It's a good idea to clone your drive in all cases before updates are applied.
b) No additions or "extras" are needed with Fedora 26. (No need for Fedora "copr" "RHEL", etc.)
c) Installation (and update) is done via dnf in terminal,

II. Install Steps:

a) The package will create the user 'backuppc'. If you've already created a user called 'backuppc' no harm done. Just make sure that the user 'backuppc' belongs to the groups 'backuppc' and 'apache'.
b) In terminal do (without the quotes)
'dnf install backuppc'
c) The configuration files have been installed into /etc/BackupPC/
d) Doc files are installed into /usr/share/doc/BackupPC.
e) bin executables are in /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/

READ BackupPC.html
READ README.setup: create users in apache with htpasswd:

sudo htpasswd -c /etc/BackupPC/apache.users bobkatz
New password:
Re-type new password:
Adding password for user bobkatz

d) If you run into regular and annoying warnings from SELINUX and your machine is a single user machine.... all the usual caveats, then disable SELINUX. I disabled it because it's a pain in the ass, but don't take my advice. My network is on a pretty good firewall, for what it's worth. To disable SELINUX:

Open /etc/sysconfig/selinux. change the line (without the quotes):
'SELINUX=enforcing'
'SELINUX=disabled'

III. Configuration
a) Comes preconfigured. configure.pl IS NOT PART OF THIS DISTRO. IT SHOULD NOT BE NEEDED FOR FEDORA 26.
b) Do not change 'topdir' from the recommended path given. Use fstab to automatically mount the directory. If you want to have topdir (the main backup storage) show up in a more convenient place, use a symbolic link. Do NOT BIND a second mount in fstab as it will cause problems with backup later and cause backuppc to store in two places unless you make an exception. So don't do that! If you need to mount your backup medium at another location, use a symlink in addition to the mount in fstab.

My entry for the mount point used by backuppc in fstab looks like this:

/dev/sdb1 /var/lib/BackupPC ext4 defaults 1 1

noto bene: Richard has a workaround which MAY work if you did not follow the above steps:

"I think if you installed the package, mounted the volume and then ran restorecon -r /var/lib/backuppc would have the same effect."

c) To get the GUI to work I had to
sudo chmod 640 config.pl
sudo chmod 666 apache.users
sudo chmod 640 hosts

These files are in /etc/BackupPC. Not sure why these permissions are necessary, they may be excessive, but for me I could not get the GUI to work or launch backuppc. Note that on a second install I see that config.pl originally had 644 permissions, which might also work.

d) In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf I added this line at the top:

ServerName localhost

This removed an annoying complaint when launching apache:
"Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name,
using localhost.localdomain. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to
suppress this message".
Richard says this complaint is not fatal.

e) Also in httpd.conf add these two lines in the section "User/Group".

User backuppc
Group apache

Apparently this was not added during the install.

f) in config.pl make$Conf{CgiAdminUsers} = 'bobkatz';

# The BackupPC user.
#
$Conf{BackupPCUser} = 'backuppc';

if this was not already created during the install. This is the user the daemon runs as.

g) in config.pl add yourself as the admin user:

$Conf{CgiAdminUsers} = 'bobkatz';

h) I added the admin user to the group 'backuppc' as well, though I'm not sure if this has any negative consequences, it allowed me to run some commands.

IV. Starting the GUI
a) init.d is NOT used in Fedora 26! Fedora has been SystemD based for many releases now and the package installs the systemd service file.

b) In terminal

# sudo systemctl enable httpd
# sudo systemctl enable backuppc
# sudo systemctl start backuppc

If all goes well pointing your browser to the gui at http://localhost/BackupPC should show the interface. Keep in mind that the default apache configuration only allows access from localhost, if you want to access it from another machine you'll have to edit the configuration in /etc/httpd/conf.d/BackupPC.conf.

Then reboot the machine (this is important), then test the link to the gui. If all goes well, then start the fun! If you still don’t connect, perhaps it’a an apache-related error, which you may be able to debug in the apache log in /var/log/httpd

Enjoy,

Bob Katz