BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Late to the Game: Upgrading from Version 3.x on Fedora 25

2017-05-29 21:25:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Late to the Game: Upgrading from Version 3.x on Fedora 25
From: Tim Evans <tkevans AT tkevans DOT com>
To: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 21:24:56 -0400
On 05/28/2017 05:18 PM, Tim Evans wrote:

The UID thing took me off in the wrong direction. The BackupPC service was failing to start, so, of course, the web interface wouldn't show anything!

Poking around in the journalctl output, I find:

May 28 13:08:56 osprey BackupPC[3990]: 2017-05-28 13:08:56 PoolV3Enabled is set, and can't create a test hardlink between a file in /raptor/pc-backups//pc and /raptor/pc-backups//cpool. Either these are different file systems, or this file system doesn't support hardlinks, or these directories don't exist, or there is a permissions problem, or the file system is out of inodes or full. Use df, df -i, and ls -ld to check each of these possibilities. Quitting...

Well, I'd removed the entire filetree that contained the version 3 pool in cleaning things up, but forgot to turn the upgrade option off in config.pl. (This maybe shouldn't be a fatal error?)

So, config.pl now fixed and the service is now running, as is a full backup of the Win 7 PC. Will report back when/if it finishes.

Thanks, again.

Today's update: The full backup ran for just a few minutes over 24 hours and was killed by BackupPC; log says:

2017-05-29 15:34:24 Backup failed on pelican (BackupPC_tarExtract exited with fail status 256)
2017-05-29 15:34:27 Started full backup on pelican (pid=15026, share=C$)

As you can see, a new full backup was kicked off almost immediately.

I've googled the "BackupPC_tarExtract exited with fail status 256" message and found many hits, going back to version 3 of BackupPC. Seems to be a problem with Linux 'tar' extracting the incoming data.

There was a thread just a month ago (late April/early May) on this mailing list entitled "Multiple issues on newly installed 4.1.0" which discussed the apparent same issue of failing backups due to a problem in 'tar.' In this thread, Craig Barratt wrote that he had pushed a fix to git for this issue. I'm guessing this hasn't yet made it into the 4.1.2 version in the Hobbes Fedora 25 repo?

Any other info would be appreciated.  Thanks.
--
Tim Evans                       |   5 Chestnut Court