BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Late to the Game: Upgrading from Version 3.x on Fedora 25

2017-05-24 19:31:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Late to the Game: Upgrading from Version 3.x on Fedora 25
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 09:30:45 +1000
On 25/05/17 02:57, Richard Shaw wrote:
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 10:53 AM, Tim Evans <tkevans AT tkevans DOT com> wrote:
I have BackupPC-3.3.1-7.fc25.x86_64 installed on Fedora 25.  Stopped
using it a good while back when the Samba changes screwed things up.
Could never get the patches to 3.x to work for me.  My backup pool is
now more than a year out of date.

(I have been running an alternative backup mechanism (NetGear ReadyNAS
built-in backups), with a separate destination, so the old pool isn't
important.)

I'd like to install version 4.x, but must've missed any step-by-steps
that have been published. I've found the Hobbes repo, but there's
nothing there in the way of docs.

The main thing is to merge config.pl. Your old one should not be overwritten and the new one from the 4.x package should be renamed to config.pl.rpmnew.

You can diff the two and merge what you need from the old one into the new one. The main difference being (IIRC) that the rsync path and rsync arguments being split into two different variables.

Something like:
# cd /etc/BackupPC
# mv config.pl config.pl.old
# mv config.pl.rpmnew config.pl
# diff -Nau config.pl.old config.pl > changes.diff

Then review changes.diff and merge what you need over to the new config.pl

It is a bit time consuming because the supplied default config.pl and the changes made the first time you click save from the CGI interface create a lot of false positives in the diff.

Thanks,
Richard
In relation to this, it would be great if the original shipped config.pl was never modified, but there was a line at the bottom to either include a config_local.pl or all files contained in a directory named config.d
This would make upgrades *much* easier, since all your local edits are contained safely in a different file, so all you need to do is rename/adjust your custom settings if the variable name has changed/etc.

PS, this is already easy to do, as long as you never modify settings from the web, but it shouldn't be difficult to add this for the web editor to support the same concept.

I'm not sure what other distros do, but it appears this is being done for a lot of debian/ubuntu packages.

Regards,
Adam
--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au