BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Late to the Game: Upgrading from Version 3.x on Fedora 25

2017-05-28 11:56:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Late to the Game: Upgrading from Version 3.x on Fedora 25
From: Tim Evans <tkevans AT tkevans DOT com>
To: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 11:35:01 -0400
On 05/25/2017 10:53 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:

As far as I can tell from experience with my upgrade on my CentOS 7 box, yes, that's all that should be required. I did update some of the SELinux contexts for 4.x and other tweaks so it would be good to hear how smoothly things go as I haven't gotten any feedback yet from people upgrading from 3.x to 4.x.

OK, this started out like it was going to be a trivial update.

Dnf'd the update, checked out config.pl and made needed changes there and my hosts file, and fired off a full, SMB-based backup of a Windows 7 PC.

Version 4.x dutifully converted the backup pool. The backup ran for 24 hours and never completed, then it was killed and restarted. *This was the very problem that led to my abandoning version 3.x 18 months ago.*

So, I assumed something, somewhere is corrupted, and dnf removed BackupPC and the very old pool, and re-installed. Again, restored changes to config.pl and hosts file.

Now BackupPC won't start.  Web page says:

"Error: Wrong user: my userid is 48, instead of 987(backuppc)

This script needs to run as the user specified in $Conf{BackupPCUser}, which is set to backuppc.

This is an installation problem. If you are using mod_perl then it appears that Apache is not running as user backuppc. If you are not using mod_perl, then most like setuid is not working properly on BackupPC_Admin. Check the permissions on /usr/libexec/BackupPC/BackupPC_Admin and look at the documentation."

UID 48 is, of course, apache.

Permissions on /usr/libexec/BackupPC/BackupPC_Admin appear to be correct, based on comparison from a dump-based backup.

Googling this message brings up lots of hits, mostly suggestions to run either BackupPC as the apache user, or to run Apache as the backuppc user. Neither works in this case.

Other ideas welcome.  Thanks.

--
Tim Evans                       |5 Chestnut Court
443-394-3864                    |Owings Mills, MD 21117