BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Working on keeping this list on-topic

2017-05-19 20:32:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Working on keeping this list on-topic
From: Brad Alexander <storm16 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 20:32:20 -0400
Hello Holger,

I tried to send this to you off-list, but it bounced.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 3:06 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Robert Katz wrote on 2017-05-13 11:33:57 -0300 [[BackupPC-users] Working on install of backuppc in fedora 26]:
> running on Fedora 26!!!! Congratulate me  :-)

I'll congratulate you as soon as you realize that this list is not meant for
*anything* concerning distribution packages, package management questions,
or linux questions. This is the *BackupPC* *upstream* users mailing list,
meant for questions relating to the BackupPC software as distributed by
git or tarball. Or at least it used to be. I'm at the point of unsubscribing
due to the large amount of noise here lately. This is not about mistakenly
asking one question here instead of at the appropriate place, it's about
repeatedly raising issues that are not even about BackupPC.

I can agree that completely off-topic posts probably shouldn't be allowed, however, I have found this list, over the years, to be quite helpful. I was able to ask questions regarding not only BackupPC, but also it's interaction with the OS, with client OSes, and the various backup methods.

As an example, I am converting large portions of my network from Linux to BSD. I have a FreeNAS and was considering whether it would be better to slice off an iscsi  LUN and make it available to my backup server, or run it directly in a jail on the NAS. I appreciate those users who may have FreeBSD experience, and think that they may have good suggestions. In fact, I remember years ago, that there was a question about possible interactions between ZFS (the primary filesystem of some of the BSDs) and BackupPC.

Whoever might be responsible, please kindly consider creating a backuppc-users
list at Fedora, Redhat or whereever, and announcing creation of the list here,
so whoever is interested can subscribe there, and we can point others toward
it when appropriate. Thank you.

Personally, I think this is way too many mailing lists to keep track of. You would have to subscribe to a backuppc list for every distro you run, plus the main one? And then what about the errors that could creep in having all of these different sources of truth? I think having the one list with a varied group of people on various distros works out fairly well. True off-topic? Sure I complain about that too...But I haven't seen many truly off-topic posts, and I certainly don't think that posting about distro X or os Y and it's interaction with backuppc is too far afoul of the main topic of the list.

Just my 2 pfenning,

Regards,
--b