BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Exchanging keys

2017-05-14 20:57:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Exchanging keys
From: Bob Katz <bobkatz24bit AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 20:56:25 -0400
Les wrote:

"Normally the key goes in root's home directory under
.ssh/authorized_keys.     That 'ssh-copy-id' command is a shell script
if you want to see what it does.  Maybe you find wherever root's home
directory is in the sandbox environment and make a copy there."

I see that script does something with *.pub" and perhaps it puts it into the text file authorized_keys. That's the file that ends up on the Thecus inside /root/.ssh. I've kind of verified that ssh is running as a process on the Thecus.

So I'm (potentially) giving up... it could be the Thecus or it could be me. I implemented the Thecus basic ssh daemon (which deals with root ssh access) and disabled the module's special ssh daemon. I used Richard's advice and dis ssh-copy-id

Well, I've tried and tried, deleting files on both server and client, and I keep on dealing with this error: sign_and_send_pubkey: signing failed: agent refused operation

So basically I'm giving up.

Les also wrote:

"If not, and you end up using rsyncd instead, just change the
$Conf{XferMethod} to rsyncd instead of rsync."

Looks like rsyncd is my option for the Thecus. I'm so sorry, too. I feel I'm close to conquering the key issue, but so far :-(.

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 6:05 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 4:43 PM, Bob Katz <bobkatz AT digido DOT com> wrote:

> Again, you're a godsend. I can root ssh to the Thecus!
>
> But I wish exchanging keys were that simple with the Thecus NAS. The Thecus
> has a sandboxed operating system. Anything below /raid will be eaten up on
> reboot. To do keys you have to use a module called FajoSSHD that's located
> here on the Thecus:
>
> Office-MacBook-Pro:~ bobkatz$ ssh [email protected]
>
> N6850:~# cd /raid/data/module/FaJoSSHD
> # ls
> cgi-bin/ log.txt  Shell/   system/  www/
> COPY     shell@   sys/     VERSION
> N6850:/raid/data/module/FaJoSSHD#
>
> I know that FajoSSHD keeps authorized keys in here:
>
> N6850:/raid/data/module/FaJoSSHD/system/etc/ssh/users/root# ls
> authorized_keys
>
> But I cannot figure out where the public key you want me to transfer should
> go. Would it go into that same directory? If not, I can explore any other
> directories. Somewhere in this hierarchy I need to put the key which I
> generated on my Fedora server.
>
> I'm going to try your code and see if I can get it to work using the above
> url. Stand by.

Normally the key goes in root's home directory under
.ssh/authorized_keys.     That 'ssh-copy-id' command is a shell script
if you want to see what it does.  Maybe you find wherever root's home
directory is in the sandbox environment and make a copy there.

If not, and you end up using rsyncd instead, just change the
$Conf{XferMethod} to rsyncd instead of rsync.

Bob Katz 407-831-0233 DIGITAL DOMAIN | "There are two kinds of fools,
Recording, Mastering, Manufacturing | One says-this is old and therefore good.
Author: Mastering Audio
| The other says-this is new and therefore
Digital Domain Website | better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number
of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
No more Plaxo, Linked-In, or any of the other time-suckers. Please contact me by regular email. Yes, we have a facebook page and a You-Tube site!