BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs

2016-08-07 15:48:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs
From: "G.W. Haywood" <backup AT jubileegroup.co DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 20:47:57 +0100 (BST)
Hi there,

On Sun, 7 Aug 2016, Les Mikesell wrote:

> You can use a variety of different styles when writing perl.  It can
> look like C, shell, awk, or ...

About fifteen years ago I was contracting on an early Web project for
a legal company in Los Angeles with about four million users.  We used
Apache, mod_perl and a number of Perl toolkits, some rather obscure.

One day, one of the more technical managers glanced over my shoulder
at some Perl code as I was writing it.  He said, "You know, when you
write Perl, I can understand it!"

I took that as the greatest of compliments.

I replied, "That's because I'm a C programmer."  I've always regretted
not saying that I believe that it's very important that code should be
easy to understand.  This is something that's been obvious to me ever
since I started programming the Motorola 6800 in assembler in the mid-
1970s, even if only because I had to persuade my boss that it would be
sane to let my new-fangled gadgets loose in a nuclear power plant.

I always strive for code to be easy to understand.  When I go back to
it a decade or two later (it happens) I can still understand it.

--

73,
Ged.