BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs

2016-08-06 12:20:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 11:19:44 -0500
On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 2:17 AM, martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
wrote:
> also sprach Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au>
> [2016-08-05 01:08 +0200]:
>> > Why aren't we just using standard gzip or bzip2 or xz, for which
>> > decompressors exist on pretty much every Unix system?
>> I'm pretty sure there is a backuppc package for debian :)
>
> Oh yes, sure, but do I want/need to install it on all systems that
> I might use to read logs?

Why is it likely that you would want to read backuppc logs on systems
that don't have backuppc installed.  And why not do it through the web
interface where you don't need to care about how it is uncompressed?

>> You are free to make a patch that will use a different compression
>> tool, and allow that to be configured, perhaps others will
>> appreciate it also.
>
> I'll need to investigate this possibility. Generally, I try to avoid
> Perl because I just don't get it. If you have any pointers, that'd
> be great!

You can use a variety of different styles when writing perl.  It can
look like C, shell, awk, or a few other languages so it is fairly easy
to write if you already know some computer language.  The hard part
comes when you try to understand someone else's code where they used a
different style - or your own code from a few years ago...