BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Unnecessary reads with rsync?

2016-08-04 16:16:57
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Unnecessary reads with rsync?
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 22:16:24 +0200
Hello,

Right now, I am staring at the lsof output of the rsync process on
a backup client, spawned by BackupPC. It's processing a 3.5G file
that has not been touched in 5 years and has been backed up numerous
times. According to strace, the entire file is being read, and it's
taking a toll:

  - using up time that the backup process takes
  - straining the disks and consuming resources

Why?

rsync (unless passwd -c, which I don't) knows not to checksum a file
whose metadata have not changed. Arguably, the metadata of the pool
file on the server have also not changed.

What's going (wr)on(g) here?

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

"for her, the dashed lines on the freeway were like grains of sand
 slipping, through an hour glass, ticking away the seconds, the
 minutes, and the hours of her life. if she got home a few minutes
 early on any given afternoon, it gave her a thrill as if she had
 stolen a little something back from death."
-- mc 900 ft jesus (http://stuff.madduck.net/pub/misc/fun/newmoon.txt)

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net