BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs

2016-08-07 13:07:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 12:07:10 -0500
On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 12:45 AM, martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
wrote:
> also sprach Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> [2016-08-06 18:19
> +0200]:
>> Why is it likely that you would want to read backuppc logs on
>> systems that don't have backuppc installed.
>
> Well, I collect all logs to a central location, but sure, this isn't
> the normal usecase.

I guess if I were doing that, I'd likely use the backuppc host as the
place to collect stuff... Or NFS mount the collection.

>> And why not do it through the web interface where you don't need
>> to care about how it is uncompressed?
>
> Because the web interface is dreadfully slow and doesn't provide
> grep, other Unix tools, nor shell automation.

I always had decent performance from the web interface but I think the
CentOS version I used ran under mod_perl.  Sometimes the browser
search feature is handy.  But, if you are into shell automation, why
not uncompress on the backuppc server where the tool is available
before moving them - or do it on the fly?  Just some lazy sysadmin
ideas.   It's not really any harder to run BackupPC_zcat remotely than
cat or cp and only slightly harder than using rsync or scp.

>> > I'll need to investigate this possibility. Generally, I try to
>> > avoid Perl because I just don't get it. If you have any
>> > pointers, that'd be great!
>>
>> You can use a variety of different styles when writing perl.  It
>> can look like C, shell, awk, or a few other languages so it is
>> fairly easy to write if you already know some computer language.
>> The hard part comes when you try to understand someone else's code
>> where they used a different style - or your own code from a few
>> years ago...
>
> Yeah, exactly… or when trying to figure out where to add code to an
> existing project. ;)

Good perl programmers (not me...) usually encapsulate high level
operations into library modules, keeping the main program flow as a
compact set of calls to the modules.   To make changes you have your
choice of adding options to the module code that does the work or
replacing the call completely with something different.