BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs

2016-08-05 03:17:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 09:17:25 +0200
also sprach Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au>
[2016-08-05 01:08 +0200]:
> > Why aren't we just using standard gzip or bzip2 or xz, for which
> > decompressors exist on pretty much every Unix system?
> I'm pretty sure there is a backuppc package for debian :)

Oh yes, sure, but do I want/need to install it on all systems that
I might use to read logs?

> PS, we are using BackupPC's own compression tools because:
>
> a) We know they will exist
> b) We need to use them for the data, so might as well also use them for
> the logs which will compress really well

gzip will exist on a Unix system even after hell froze over… and
it's by far the more intuitive to use, with integration in editors,
viewers, mc, etc..

> You are free to make a patch that will use a different compression
> tool, and allow that to be configured, perhaps others will
> appreciate it also.

I'll need to investigate this possibility. Generally, I try to avoid
Perl because I just don't get it. If you have any pointers, that'd
be great!

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

http://lavender.cime.net/~ricky/badgers.txt

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net