BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs

2016-08-04 15:34:16
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Choice of compression algorithm for logs
From: martin f krafft <madduck AT madduck DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 21:33:49 +0200
Hello,

the fact that BackupPC compresses log files using zlib and requires
/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_zcat for their uncompression is
a bit of a nuisance, not only when log files are being
sync'd/analysed on a system where there is no BackupPC installed.

I also can't find a suitable decompressor in a Debian package,
especially not one supporting reading from stdin.

Why aren't we just using standard gzip or bzip2 or xz, for which
decompressors exist on pretty much every Unix system?

--
@martinkrafft | http://madduck.net/ | http://two.sentenc.es/

if you see an onion ring -- answer it!

spamtraps: madduck.bogus AT madduck DOT net