BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-19 16:01:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 22:00:33 +0200
On 19.05.2016 19:01, David Cramblett wrote:
> Yeah, or "CofO", or "Sign-Off", or whatever term folks feel the most
> comfortable with. It doesn't have to be "CLA", it could be whatever make
> since. Just something protecting the project from the unlikely "evil
> company scenario".

Sorry, but I seem to have missed something. What "evil company" scenario
exactly do you talk about?

In large opensource projects like the Linux kernel multiple contributors
provide patches/pull request that eventually get merged. Every
contributor retains the copyright to the code she or he has contributed.
Using git, a list of all contributors is relatively easy to compile when
signed-off-by tags are used.

If there would be a license change mandated, all contributors would have
to agree to this change. If they don't, the project still could change
the license, but the code from the contributors rejecting the change
would have to be removed and/or replaced with code from other
contributors who support the change.

> David
>
> On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Kris Lou <klou AT themusiclink DOT net
> <mailto:klou AT themusiclink DOT net>> wrote:
>
>     How about making the above explanation in a "How to contribute to
>     BackupPC development", and requiring a short note in the pull
>     request?  Something as simple as "CLA:agreed"?

I'm not a lawyer but I seriously doubt that this is considered as
legally binding.

And I definitely would not want to participate in a project that
requires me to sign a CLA. I even would consider to refrain from _using_
BackupPC if this is implemented. Just because in this case, there would
be a single entity who could change the rules from one day to the other.
And I would not want to risk the ability to restore my own backups from
last year.

And no, I would never expect Craig to do something evil like that. But
this is because I trust him personally. I would not have the same trust
in whatever organization that would have to be created or mandated to
serve as the final copyright holder.

Just my 2 cents. And, as mentioned above, I'm not a lawyer.

Regards

Stefan Peter