BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-18 12:46:33
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: David Cramblett <david AT functionalchaos DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 09:45:41 -0700
I think most GPL projects still use a CLA to help protect the project in the case of future litigation. The Linux Kernel for example is GPL v2, but still requires CLA language appended to each patch submission. Other projects just have the developer submit a signed CLA a single time when they make their first contribution to the project.

The CLA is not so much an attempt to state the the patch is using the same license as the project, it's more to say the copyright belongs to the project owner (Craig in this case), and not the developer who wrote the patch.

David

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it> wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
> it occurred to me there may be legal pitfalls (particularly in the States, but not only) concerning "Intellectual Property" of any contribution.
>
> I know several organizations (e.g.: Eclipse) require a declaration from each contributor stating:
> 1) he is transferring Copyright of each and all patches to the Project.
> 2) no other party (i.e.: his employer) has any claim on his contributions.
> I know because I had to go into some loops to have some contributions accepted.
>
> Should we be concerned?
> I know *noting* about USA Copyright laws (aside from the fact they're making many "attorneys" rich).
> Is there someone knowledgeable here on the list?
> Should we seek advice? (where? github? FSF?)
>
> We should fix this ASAP, before the coder base enlarges.
>
> Please give advice.

Since the initial license is GPL v2, the only restriction is that any
changes/additions must also be GPL or compatible (include source and
not add additional restrictions).  In some cases projects add a
requirement to transfer ownership of contributions to the official
version so that someone would have the authority to change the license
on future versions if desired - but it may already be too late for
that.

David Cramblett