BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-19 04:04:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 10:03:56 +0200
Hi,
please note a this spawned from something Richard Alloway wrote:
> If I can get approval to do any of this on work's dime (which I think I can
> do, since contributing to Open Source projects is part of my job), I should
> be able to get a little of 5:
>
> 5) Time
As I read it this means Richard's employer will explicitly pay for
contributions to BackupPC.

My concern is said employer may, perhaps in a distant future, possibly after
being sold to some Evil Empire, decide they still "own" those patches and
prevent us from redistributing anything which includes them.
This is the problem we should address (if it exists).

I do not want to open possibility for anyone to make BackupPC proprietary (I
know what Rob depicts has happened in the past and will happen again), this
should be explicitly forbidden in whatever solution we finally chose.

Initial question remains: "Should we be concerned"?
This might be sheer paranoia, but I'm to ignorant in the subject to discern it.
If someone has a positive answer please elaborate.

Regards
Mauro