BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection

2016-05-19 09:20:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copyright protection
From: Rob Owens <rowens AT ptd DOT net>
To: General list for user discussion <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 09:20:17 -0400 (EDT)
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mauro Condarelli" <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>

> Hi,
> please note a this spawned from something Richard Alloway wrote:
>> If I can get approval to do any of this on work's dime (which I think I can
>> do,
>> since contributing to Open Source projects is part of my job), I should be
>> able
>> to get a little of 5:
>>
>> 5) Time
> As I read it this means Richard's employer will explicitly pay for
> contributions
> to BackupPC.
>
> My concern is said employer may, perhaps in a distant future, possibly after
> being sold to some Evil Empire, decide they still "own" those patches and
> prevent us from redistributing anything which includes them.
> This is the problem we should address (if it exists).
>
> I do not want to open possibility for anyone to make BackupPC proprietary (I
> know what Rob depicts has happened in the past and will happen again), this
> should be explicitly forbidden in whatever solution we finally chose.
>
> Initial question remains: "Should we be concerned"?
> This might be sheer paranoia, but I'm to ignorant in the subject to discern
> it.
> If someone has a positive answer please elaborate.

My "I'm not a lawyer" opinion is that if the code is GPL, then we really don't
need anything more.  Contributions/patches must then be GPL.  The angry employer
scenario is a possibility I suppose.  Maybe each contributor must sign/swear
that
the code is his to give away?  Then if an employer raises a stink, would the
issue be the contributor's problem and not ours?  Maybe, but I kind of doubt it.
It may be a waste of time to try to prepare for this scenario.

The chances of an angry employer scenario are significantly reduced, in my
opinion, if BackupPC remains a non-commercial project.

-Rob