BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4

2016-05-14 07:14:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 13:13:26 +0200
Il 14/05/2016 12:04, Juergen Harms ha scritto:
> That sounds positive - tres facent collegium - but I doubt whether three
> is enough as soon as doing succeeds to talking.
VERY true.

> I see a formal issue: what any future activity will be based on (e.g.
> the mailing list, the contents at sourcefourge) has been established by
> predecessors: who are, for instance, the owners of admin passwords of
> this list?, are some of the old actors still around and ready to get
> active again once new contributors show up? how to avoid that the
> initiative that hopefully will get started by this discussion can be
> mis-interpreted as hijacking? I do not suggest to get lost in
> mind-scratching, but this should be thought about.
I did some research and Craig Barrett seems to be Senior Vice President at
Google (wireless).
I doubt he has much time left for BackupPC.
Contacting him has been unsuccessful, but we could make a last attempt.

He seems to be the only one with write access to Sourceforge Project.
One strange thing is going to his profile
(https://sourceforge.net/u/cbarratt/profile/)
it seems BackupPC was "Last Updated: 2016-04-20", which is quite recent.
I was unable to understand what was actually updated.

If someone can contact him and have his blessing that would be a major asset.
I doubt he would answer (or even read) a mail from a perfect nobody as myself,
but I will try if none else has better ideas.

There already are several "*backuppc*" projects on github, including a
"backuppc/backuppc"
which seems to be an old and unmaintained mirror of backuppc.cvs.sourceforge.net
owned by Lars Tobias Skjong-Børsting who seems to be still active on github; we
could
try to contact him and revive this mirror.
Rationale for this is names *are* important; "backuppc/backuppc"
sounds much more official than e.g.: "mcondarelli/backuppc" and we need to act
as a central
focus to aggregate whatever is good and usable in the 69 (!)
"*backuppc*"projects already
on github alone.

> Certainly the highest priority is to stabilize the situation, to get the
> software management issue under control to at least avoid loss of speed.
> Mauro, if you have the necessary skills, can you, at least at an interim
> basis, try to get things started? - if you want to delegate specific
> issues that are just work but dont require GIT expertise, say so!
I am using git on daily basis for my work, so I shouldn't have problems in that
specific
department.

Highest priority (IMHO) is to get consensus before we actually move.
To do this we need:

 1. general approval from this list; I would like to hear from most (all?) the
regular contributors.
 2. do a last effort to contact Craig; please note English is *not* my mother
language: writing a very short mail to grab Craig attention and convince him to
devolve some of his "ample spare time" to this old project might be out of my
depth.
 3. I can try to contact Lars, if the list so decides.
 4. on freenode is already present a (very quiet) "#backuppc" channel with 26
lurkers. I suggest the interested people to join there so we can really
understand how many are willing to help and start taking faster decisions.
Model would be BuildRoot: rapid discussion on IRC, announcements on ML, github
as a backend (we also use patchwork there, but I do not think it's needed here).

>> I am available to the community (i.e.: I could set-up the github account,
>> migrating whatever to it, do some patch review, ecc.), but ...
> Coming back to the "formal" issue: should we ask the members of this
> mailing list to confirm that this initiative is something that has
> general support?
YES.
I am doing it now.

Pretty pretty please, answer to this mail stating acceptance or disagreement,
the latter being *much* more important.

> Concerning what I can contribute: I am 19 years beyond the 60 year
> milestone - a period where it becomes foolish to promise solid and
ok, I lost the bet ;)

> sustained help. I have a solid background in perl and C and some areas
> of Unix tools, but black holes just as solid in others (like samba or
> using tools like git). Maybe the area best suited to contribute might be
> documentation, possibly also digging into specific programming issues.
>
> Juergen
Thanks.

Mauro