BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4

2016-05-14 06:05:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4
From: Juergen Harms <juergen.harms AT unige DOT ch>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 12:04:34 +0200
That sounds positive - tres facent collegium - but I doubt whether three
is enough as soon as doing succeeds to talking.

I see a formal issue: what any future activity will be based on (e.g.
the mailing list, the contents at sourcefourge) has been established by
predecessors: who are, for instance, the owners of admin passwords of
this list?, are some of the old actors still around and ready to get
active again once new contributors show up? how to avoid that the
initiative that hopefully will get started by this discussion can be
mis-interpreted as hijacking? I do not suggest to get lost in
mind-scratching, but this should be thought about.

Certainly the highest priority is to stabilize the situation, to get the
software management issue under control to at least avoid loss of speed.
Mauro, if you have the necessary skills, can you, at least at an interim
basis, try to get things started? - if you want to delegate specific
issues that are just work but dont require GIT expertise, say so!

> I am available to the community (i.e.: I could set-up the github account,
> migrating whatever to it, do some patch review, ecc.), but ...

Coming back to the "formal" issue: should we ask the members of this
mailing list to confirm that this initiative is something that has
general support?

Concerning what I can contribute: I am 19 years beyond the 60 year
milestone - a period where it becomes foolish to promise solid and
sustained help. I have a solid background in perl and C and some areas
of Unix tools, but black holes just as solid in others (like samba or
using tools like git). Maybe the area best suited to contribute might be
documentation, possibly also digging into specific programming issues.

Juergen