BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4

2016-05-15 04:46:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4
From: Micha Silver <micha AT arava.co DOT il>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2016 11:17:38 +0300

Hello Juergen

May I suggest some edits to your letter, below.

On 05/14/2016 11:19 PM, Juergen Harms wrote:
------ Original Message ------ Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4 Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 22:19:04 +0200 To: Backuppc-users From: Juergen Harms
On 05/14/2016 07:36 PM, Mauro Condarelli wrote:
It's not hijacking, it's a fork and there are good reasons for that. Don't you think it might be a good idea to change the project name then and just leave the original project intact?
I appreciate the idea to try and contact Craig Barret - that is homework
to be done in preparation of such a decision. Maybe Mauro is too
pessimistic about getting a response - Craig has done an admirable job
in creating BackupPC, why should he not have interest in an initiative
that tries to keep it alive?

I append the draft of a letter that could be sent to Craig. I am not a
native English speaker - but my main concern is that the letter has a
chance to avoid the trash bin and that it asks the right questions (and
I think that the second question should be better formulated).

Juergen

----------------------------

Subject: Initiative to keep BackupPC alive

A large and motivated user community (backuppc-users mailing list) is convinced that BackupPC offers a high quality collection of features, not matched by any alternative. We are concerned regarding the future availability of an up-to-date and maintained version of BackupPC. Presently there is a discussion on how the necessary activity can be re-launched by contributions from within that community.

There are two issues where your input would be highly appreciated:

1. Building on the existing operational infrastructure.
At present, BackupPC (software repository, mailing list) uses operational support from sourceforge. Who is the formal contact with sourceforge, who has access and administrator rights? What needs to be done to allow these rights to be transferred to a new team?

2. Technical evolution.
So far, two alternatives have surfaced:
(a) build on the development version (Backuppc 4.0.0alpha1) which have released or
(b) continue from the latest stable release (BackupPC 3.3.1) - either as a continuation of the present project, or as a "fork".
Is there any chance that you have time and resources to continue to develop or help with version 4? What do you recommend?

There exists a large and motivated user community (backuppc-users
mailing list) that is convinced that there exists no alternative
software with the quality and comparable features of BackupPC, and that
feels concern on the future availabilty of an up-to-date and maintained
BackupPC. Presently there is a discussion on how the necessary activity
can be re-launched by contributions from within that community.

There are two issues where your input would be highly appreciated:

1. Building on the existing operational infrastructure.
At present, BackupPC (software repository, mailing list) uses
operational support from sourceforge: who - on the side of BackupPC - is
the formal contact to sourceforge, who has access and administrator
rights? What needs to be done to allow these rights to be transferred to
a new team?

2. Technical evolution.
So far, two alternatives have been mentioned: (a) build on the
development version (Backuppc 4.0.0alpha1) you have released or (b)
continue from the latest stable release (BackupPC 3.3.1) - either as a
continuation of the present project, or as a "fork". Is there any chance
that you have time and resources to continue to develop or help with
version 4? do you have recommendations?

This mail was received via Mail-SeCure System.

Micha Silver
Arava Drainage Authority
+972-523-665918