BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4

2016-05-13 15:56:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4
From: Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 21:55:54 +0200

Il 13/05/2016 17:44, Juergen Harms ha scritto:
> On 05/13/2016 03:04 PM, Mauro Condarelli wrote:
>> We*NEED*  to move beyond v3.3.1/4.0.0pre, otherwise bitrot will disgregate
>> this nice Project.
> "Bitrot": I agree - the only question is whether in n or in n+5 years.
> "It is a nice project": I dont agree - it is much more, it offers so
> much more than any of the alternatives that are around, letting it decay
> to rot should not happen.
I fully agree.
I was not implying "this is just a 'nice' Project".
If we are still here after the "apparent death" (let's cal it "suspended
animation", for the time being) brought forward by
disappearance of the Chief Architect (i.e.: Craig) that's clear sign we still
believe in BackupPC potentialities.

> Can this list organize itself to resume the minimum of activity that is
> necessary to keep BackupPC alive? is the necessary competence on board?
I do believe competence is on board; reason is many technical questions are
actually answered on this very list, so
someone knowledgeable enough is willing to devolve some of his free time to
help the community.

What seems to be missing is someone willing to take the helm and to do all the
(often tedious) chores needed to
maintain repository, documentation and website in working condition.
Unfortunately this work is necessary, otherwise we won't be able to do releases
(maintenance or otherwise) with
any regularity.

> Personally, I am willing to contribute, but lack many of the skills that
> are needed (and given my age am only of very temporary use). What is a
Ditto. I can program in perl, but I'm not a perl guru.
I bet You're not very far ahead from me (I turned 60 a few months ago), but
that's beyond the point.

> minimum set of workitems to be picked up? repo management is clearly
> only the first one
Ok, I'll bite.
IMHO we need (at least):

 1. maintained web site
 2. online documentation
 3. online bugtracking / wishlist
 4. source repository
 5. steering committee (managing releases)
 6. IRC channel (or equivalent)

First tasks would be:

 1. Maintenance (at least to collect patches already available)
 2. Revamp installation to accommodate non-standard installs (I could work on
this).
 3. Possibly produce an official Docker release.
 4. Produce a simplified interface for "normal operation" (for anyone not
willig or capable to deal with the plethora of available options)
 5. Possibly produce a completely canned rsync-for-win distribution (probably
bases on PortableApps)
 6.

> I am not worried about my email and its unrelated subject - that topic
> is trivial - I used it as an illustration and to be provocative.
I was following suit.
There are all too many people convinced BackupPC "does not need maintenance or
further development" because "it is mature".
Any patch sent to the list is virtually lost if not captured and included into
the Code Base.
> Juergen
Mauro