BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4

2016-05-14 05:08:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Status on new BackupPC v4
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 12:07:37 +0300
Hi all,

Going back a bit, also check this message:
https://sourceforge.net/p/backuppc/mailman/message/34753750/

On 2016-05-14 11:18, Mauro Condarelli wrote:
> Il 13/05/2016 23:13, David Cramblett ha scritto:
>> If the group was interested in GitHub, then services/platform for items 1 -
>> 4 would be available for free with good tools. Also, GitHub is somewhat of
>> an industry standard for open source projects now. It also allows for easy
>> patching from interested parties via pull request, forking for those who
>> need a custom version for their special situation, etc.
> IMHO github is a very good choice.

It is certainly a sane place to start. If the project's needs ever grow
beyond that it can always be revised.

>> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Mauro Condarelli <mc5686 AT mclink DOT it
>> <mailto:mc5686 AT mclink DOT it>> wrote:
>>
>>      IMHO we need (at least):
>>
>>       1. maintained web site
>>       2. online documentation
>>       3. online bugtracking / wishlist
>>       4. source repository
>>       5. steering committee (managing releases)
>>       6. IRC channel (or equivalent)
>>

>> I think if one person (or persons) could step up and take a lead on this,
>> others like myself would be willing to pitch in. Even if your not a perl
>> expert (I'm certainly not), if you have some spare time to dedicate to
>> managing the project each week, others could be delegated to for specific
>> technical tasks.
> Thanks for the confidence.
> I will not rush to grab the gavel as I strongly suspect there are many people
> more suited.
> Another problem is I work as a contractor, so my "free time" is
> unpredictable, with relatively long periods (months) where I hardly have any
> of it.

Has there been any communication through any channel from Craig on this
since his last announcement message reply on 2015-01-20? I think the
natural way for this to go would be for Craig to announce if he means to
retire and hand over responsibilities for this project. (Or to fork the
project if we really couldn't reach him.)

>> I have been using BackupPC for at least 12-14 years, I can't remember when I
>> started using it for certain. Currently using BackupPC v3 where I'm
>> employed, and then I use BackupPC v4 at home. I would really like to see
>> another source tree setup that we all can support. I'm a software engineer,
>> but I also teach classes at the local community college, do contract work,
>> and have three busy teenagers. I don't have the time to lead, but would
>> gladly follow someone(s) who has the best intentions for the community.
>>
>> David
> I am mostly in the same situation.
> I am available to the community (i.e.: I could set-up the github account,
> migrating whatever to it, do some patch review, ecc.), but I don't think I'm
> really suited to lead it.
>
> Mauro

Same here, as a very long time BackupPC user and minor contributor, I'd
be happy to contribute to keep the project healthy. My strengths are in
service architecture and documentation as well as deployment &
maintenance automation. BackupPC's Perl and C are not in my repertoire,
though.

Best regards,
Johan

--