BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Guide to set up scheduling in BackupPC

2013-09-03 13:55:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Guide to set up scheduling in BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Prem <squirrelj AT yahoo DOT com>, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 12:52:41 -0500
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 4:22 AM, Prem <squirrelj AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was reading the online guides to set up the scheduling for the backup
> clients, however I just find it hard to implement a schedule as per my
> preference.

The server is designed to handle a larger number of backups by
controlling the scheduling internally.

> I would like to achieve the following:
> - Daily incremental from Monday to Thurs at 8pm
> - Weekly full backup on Friday at 8pm
> - Monthly full backup on the last day of the month at 8pm.

It works best to think in terms of when _not_ to do backups and set
your blackout periods for that, letting backuppc do its work anytime
outside of those times.  However, if you do the initial setup or force
a full at approximately the time you want backups to happen, the
'approximately daily' scheduling will stay fairly close to that timing
as long as the machines are running.

> - Retention of the backup for 1 year and then prune the data as it expires.

There isn't a real concept of monthy and yearly, but with the pooling
scheme there is not much overhead if you need to keep some extra
copies due to approximations with days/weeks.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Keep_yearly_backups

And if you really need fine-grained control, you can use cron:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/?title=Schedule_Backups_With_Cron