BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Guide to set up scheduling in BackupPC

2013-09-11 12:37:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Guide to set up scheduling in BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: Prem <squirrelj AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 11:35:21 -0500
On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Prem <squirrelj AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> I can try that but I really wonder why the scheduling is made so complicated
> yet it does not work as intended.

The scheme is intended to scale, letting the server control the
concurrency level since only it knows when other backups finish.  But,
I've never seen it 'not work' so I don't know what you are missing.
Are you using the web interface to modify the per-host configurations,
the global config, or both?   Is the server clock/date correct?   Do
you have so many targets that backups aren't completing in their
window?

> May I ask your help to share the configuration for schedule for a new
> client? Perhaps I could start it from scratch for a new client and see how
> it behaves. I would like to do the following:
>
> Daily incremental starts at 6pm.

Immediately after the 'edit host' step where you add the new client,
go to that node page, 'stop' the backup (even though it is not
running) and set a number of hours to wait for the next run that will
make it start at approximately the right time.

> No backup to be done from 7am to 6pm on weekdays.

Assuming the first run starts and completes in the evening/night,
subsequent runs won't start until approximately 24 hours later.  This
should keep it on track until the goodcount has been satisified - and
then your blackout window will take effect.

> Weekly and montly full.

These are approximate, see the wiki if you really need that
fine-grained control.

> Retention of the backup is 1 year.

Approximate again.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/backuppc/index.php?title=Keep_yearly_backups

> There could many configuration need to be set, which I hope you could state
> here. Just share the configuration items and what value to set for each.

Normally the only thing I change from the defaults related to
scheduling is the number of fulls to keep.