BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC incremental job hangs

2013-09-03 14:01:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC incremental job hangs
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 12:59:07 -0500
On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Yann Bordenave
<yann.bordenave AT smartjog DOT com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I scheduled a backup with backuppc for my servers.
> I use rsyncd for the transfer.
>
> It works like a charm, except for one server: when I start an
> incremental backup, the backuppc job hangs.
>
> On the web interface, I can see on my server page that 'backup is in
> progress' but on my server, rsyncd says that the connection timed out.
> The process on the backuppc machine is still alive but does nothing.
> I have nothing in the backuppc logs so it is hard to investigate.
>
> Do you have any insights about this issue ?

If the target is windows, a likely issue is that you have a virus
scanner doing 'on-access' scanning and slowing the process down.   On
linux, a possible but rare problem could be that you have 'sparse'
files used as databases that become very large when expanded for
copying.