BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts

2013-01-15 09:59:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 01:57:47 +1100
On 16/01/13 01:08, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:04 AM, elrich
> <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
>> hello,
>> thank you for answering Adam.
>> So what would you recommend me to use?
>> Cygwin + open-ssh?
>> Then how could I get the script to work on my windows server?
> Cygwin ssh will make the windows system more linux-like.  That is, in
> addition to the encrypted connection, you can install a bash shell and
> the usual unix-like tool set.  If you want to work in a mixed
> windows/linux environment it has the advantage of letting you use ssh
> connections/commands everywhere.
>
> Openvpn just gives you a secure network connection tunneled through
> the internet.  You get a different IP address that looks like a point
> to point connection so you can keep the public network firewalled.
> The advantage here is that you can use any other network tools over
> the VPN too - like vnc or remote desktop in addition to winexe and
> rsync.
>
> Either approach will work - I'd pick whichever fits your usage better.

Yes, exactly.... You could use any mix of these things:
1) cygwin ssh + cygwin rsyncd
2) cygwin ssh + cygwin rsync
3) openvpn + cygwin rsyncd
4) openvpn + cygwin ssh + cygwin rsync
5) openvpn + winexe + cygwin rsyncd

probably more combinations also... Personally, I've used (and still use)
items 1, 2 and 5. I feel the best option right now is option 5, since it
allows to do shadow backups, it is secure (tunnel/vpn) and it also
enables compression over the wan (openvpn) as well as rsync bandwidth
optimisation.

I also configure local scripts which are scheduled on the windows
machine (usually cygwin bash scripts) to take the backup files produced
by various commercial software in use (multi-gigabyte files) and split
them (using cygwin split) into a large number of small files (depending
on the customer, between 20M and 100M files), then let backuppc backup
these small files. This allows for some small changes in a small number
of the files for backuppc to still do file level de-dupe on 90% of the
data (90% of the files contents do not change, the attrib files change
because the timestamp changes, but that doesn't matter).

Hope this helps....

Regards,
Adam

--