BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts

2013-01-15 13:13:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:12:36 -0600
> Off-topic question: have you found any way to debug winexe problems?
> I use it for some other automation running from CentOS5 and CentOS6
> hosts and find that it sometimes fails with a 'failed to install
> service' error on the windows target but often running the same
> command from the other system will work.  The winexe programs might be
> slightly different versions or have different compile options too but
> I don't know where to start to debug it.   I'd like to run everything
> from the CentOS6 box but it seems to fail more frequently.

Well, winexe sits on samba, so that's often the place to start.  Generally
speaking, most problems can be tracked down using smbclient to connect to
C$ on the same system.  If that doesn't work, winexe isn't going to work.

Since you're experiencing inconsistent symptoms from the client, I'd make
use of winexe's --debuglevel= switch to ratchet up the debug level, and
connect to a shell interactively.  (It probably doesn't matter what you
connect to.)