BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts

2013-01-15 11:59:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 10:57:45 -0600
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM, elrich
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> "he problem (likely) is that ssh logs in as the SYSTEM (or equivalent)
> user that doesn't have permission to run vss.exe. I get around that by
> using a recursion script to escalate privileges via 'at'. I imagine
> perhaps that winexe allows for direct launching of vss.ex. "
>
> I created a windows user named backupPC who is in the administrator group and
> the ssh logs me as backupPC.
>
> My teach wants us to use cygwin or some equivalent software, guess I'll have
> to use cygwin.
>
> I'm kinda stuck right now.
>
> I installed cygwin on my windows server. When using cygwin I'm atomatically
> logged in as backupPC (backupPC@serverName), which means that I'll appear as
> cyg_server which is a memeber of administrators.
>
> On my backupserver I tried to open an ssh tunel by doing this :
> -log in as bakuppc user
> - created rsa key in ~/.ssh/
> - cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub | ssh backupPC@windows_server_ip "cd .ssh && cat - >>
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys"
> - I then do a ssh manually : ssh bakcupPC@windows_server_ip
> - I do this once again and I don't have to put in my password which means
> that the tunnel works right?
>
> to be sure I tried a ssh -l backupPC@windows_server_ip which sais I was the
> user cyg_serv i think (though I log in as backupPC i guess it is normal to be
> loged in as cyg_serv since it is th user dealing with the ssh bridge?)

Windows has some strange authentication concepts and logging in with a
key is not exactly the same as using a password, but I don't know
enough about it to help.   In any case if you get read access to the
path you are backing up you shouldn't have a complete failure.   I
normally run the cygwin ssh-host-config and ssh-user-config scripts
after installing cygwin ssh  but I've forgotten what they do.

> Yet when I try to backup my windows server I always get two errors depending
> on my modifications :
> -> Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
> or :
> -> Got fatal error during xfer (fileListReceive failed)
>
> here's my configuration :
> XFerMethod : rsync
> RsyncShareName : /sygdrive/c/xdx (<--just to do my tests)
> RsyncClientPath : /usr/bin/rsync  (<= I must be wrong but I didn't find a
> rsync.exe on my windows, just a something/bash_completion.d/rsync)
> RsyncClientCmd : $sshPath -q -x -l backupPC $host $rsyncPath $argList+
> RsyncClientRestoreCmd : $sshPath -q -x -l backupPC $host $rsyncPath $argList+
>
> NmbLookupCmd : $nmbLookupPath -A $host
>
> My error change if I modify backupPC by backuppc in RsyncClientCmd (backupPC
> being a user on my windows server and backuppc being the one created
> automatically on my backup server)
>
> I'm sorry for my poor english

You have some typos there - various spellings of backuppc and
/sygdrive should be /cygdrive.   Check those first, and that if you
log in over ssh you actually see  /usr/bin/rsync.exe installed as part
of cygwin.    It is also important that no messages are output when
ssh connects before rsync starts.