BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts

2013-01-15 12:09:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] windows/scripts
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:07:33 -0600
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM, Adam Goryachev
<mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:

> > 5) openvpn + winexe + cygwin rsyncd
>
> probably more combinations also... Personally, I've used (and still use)
> items 1, 2 and 5. I feel the best option right now is option 5, since it
> allows to do shadow backups, it is secure (tunnel/vpn) and it also
> enables compression over the wan (openvpn) as well as rsync bandwidth
> optimisation.

Off-topic question: have you found any way to debug winexe problems?
I use it for some other automation running from CentOS5 and CentOS6
hosts and find that it sometimes fails with a 'failed to install
service' error on the windows target but often running the same
command from the other system will work.  The winexe programs might be
slightly different versions or have different compile options too but
I don't know where to start to debug it.   I'd like to run everything
from the CentOS6 box but it seems to fail more frequently.