BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore completes but doesn't end

2013-01-15 10:03:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore completes but doesn't end
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 02:01:41 +1100
On 15/01/13 23:15, backuppc AT sundquist.imapmail DOT org wrote:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 11:15 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
On 15/01/13 13:13, backuppc AT sundquist.imapmail DOT org wrote:
On Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 10:38 PM,Adam Goryachev <mailinglists <at>
websitemanagers.com.au> wrote:

Here's the tail end of ps axf:

9397 ?        S      0:49 /usr/bin/perl/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC -d
9403 ?        S      3:45  \_ /usr/bin/perl/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_trashClean
24076 ?        S      0:11  \_ /usr/bin/perl/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_restore temp temp restoreReq.24065.0
root@eeebox:/#

and the strace:

root@eeebox:/# strace -p 24076
Process 24076 attached - interrupt to quit
select(8, [5], NULL, [5], NULL

Yes, I use rsyncd for the backup and restore protocol for both my linux
and windows boxes (use cygwin rsyncd as a service on the windows boxes).

OK, so that is the right process, and it tells us that it is waiting for
something to happen. Is the remote box a windows machine (I think it was
but I forget now)? I've had this exact issue with windows rsyncd before
when doing backups more than restores, and for me, the solution was one
or more of:
1) Upgrade to the newest version of rsync
2) Upgrade to the newest version of ssh and use rsync over ssh or rsyncd
over ssh

I'm not sure what else I did, but now I use the vss/rsync method which
mostly/usually works....

Actually, these are both linux boxes.  The backuppc box is running squeeze (stable).  But the new machine (temp) is running wheezy (testing).  I will try an apt-get dist-upgrade and see if it works.  however, I am leaving now for a 2-day business trip, so it won't be until Thursday that I can check.

I don't think that will help... but it might. One other option is to start the strace before the restore hangs, then we can see what it is doing before it stops working... preferably on both the backuppc and the remote server.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev